Short track started this past Monday. And, you know - my mountain bike is my cross bike is my mountain bike is... the same machine with different tires. 2" tires means short track, the skinnier kind means cross.
So, after a fall of riding thin tires through bad mud - and before I had the bike properly fitted (thank you, Crank!) - it was pretty phenomenal to get on a bike that fits, that's running big fat tires - and go play in the mud.
Nervous as ever / anxious as always, I rode the women's Cat 3 race (placing 3rd... out of NINE, this is not a huge win, perhaps) -- where I got the holeshot (minor win) and held my lead for a good chunk of the first lap, in second for half the first lap, and maybe solidly third after that. Then turned around and (after they cleared the medical from the course - someone landed on their head, and I hope you are okay...) raced singlespeed women. Tired, but with a bit o' fight left. (Kinda.) ((Maybe.)) Came in next-to-last in that one.... barely.
Reminders from short track: This is what we're going for. Or this. Or especially, this (Hazel, you are a badass.)
Proof that I was there: first race (go!) / second race (more tired but going nonetheless).
If the officials allow it, and if I can keep it up - I might try to double the whole series. We shall see...
In un/related news - I think I've given up on racing Tabor. Maybe next year... but it's just too goddamn humiliating to be a lap-plus down from the leaders, to be entirely on my own, every race, period, end of story. Clearly - this is not a race I'm prepared to do. So -- sit it out, son. (Also, it's not fun. The ego-crushing is one part - but it's just not.... enjoyable. I need to train more, check - but I think I'd rather swim for an hour than get the slow clap from spectators.)
Dragonboat races this weekend. Pedalpalooza starts tomorrow. There's dancing to be done, and our time is not infinite...
...so, back to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment