29 June 2011

This is not a race report (Tabor)

'cause knowing from the start line that you're DFL doesn't really feel like a race.

Heading up for my third, if I make it, week in a row of a public lesson in humility. Yes, I'm the only lady out there (or have been, for the last two weeks), and yes, I'm on my commuter bike and not a lightweight racebike. But I'm still getting lapped by the leaders, and I still can't catch the 68-year-old-badass (please note: that's (my age*2)+4).

Last week, teammate Tomas borrowed my track bike for his first fixie race. He did well. That made a field of four Team Slow folks @ the start line (Ed, Ben, Tomas, me). This week Erinne will join us - making an imagined women's field of two (she's faster than I am, hands-down), although the officials don't split fixed gear by gender.

Still worn out by last week (3 races, 3 pedalpalooza rides = five days, not a typo), not-quite-restored by a one-day-weekend (but Parkways was great!) and tired from Monday's doubleheader @ short track. My magical hip isn't digging any of this, and I'm back to sleeping with icepacks...

...but, it's only four laps (hah! sigh. three...); it's only $7, and I'm sure more humbling and more training is good for me. If nothing else, we STILL have the best cheering section ever - SLOW scattered 'round Tabor, and bonus screams from the Scalers, as they happen to be encountered.

Pick it up, MSU, I need 10% more... pedal pedal pedal...

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Your youth and strength is evident in how much riding you've been doing of late. If I tried to ride/race that much, that hard, in so little time, I would implode.
    Don't forget to schedule rest and recovery time! (You want to keep this fun, remember?) Even if it means taking your bike on the bus to work a couple days in order to not completely blow up, it'll all be good.
    Have a great weekend --B

    ReplyDelete